Skip to main content

Prior to ignition:

Contact the Amador Air District to ensure a permissive "burn day"

May contain: advertisement, poster, and person
Tips for Burning

(209) 223-6246 - Air District Website


Do I need a burn permit?

Please follow these measures to ensure safe operations:

  1. Call 209-223-6246 prior to lighting any outdoor fire.
  2. Contact your local fire agency for burn permit requirements.
  3. A CAL FIRE Burn Permit is required for debris piles less than 4′ x 4′. Pick up your free permit at the CAL FIRE Sutter Hill Fire Station located at 1160 Highway 49,  Sutter Creek 95685.
  4. Amador Air District Burn Permit is required for debris piles 4′ X 4′ and larger. The cost is $30 per year or $50 for a 2 year permit. 
  5. NEVER burn on windy days.
  6. Only dry, natural, vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings that originated on the property may be burned.
  7. Burning household garbage is NOT allowed.
  8. Provide at least 10′ diameter of clearance down to mineral soil around the debris pile by removing all material that could ignite and start an unwanted fire.
  9. Have a water source on hand such as a charged garden hose or a minimum of a 5-gallon backpack water pump.
  10. A responsible adult needs to be in attendance at all times during burning operations.
  11. Watch where your smoke is going. Burn only when smoke travels away from your neighbors.
  12. Never leave your fire unattended.
Join our mailing list